Don't forget the kids ... they LOVE green juice!
I have a special passion for the topic of raw food and kids. When I decided to put up my own website on raw food, I almost dedicated the entire site to kids issues. However, I have so much to say on the topic that I decided to dedicate a whole page to kids and then discuss other aspects of the raw food diet throughout my website. But, I truly am particularly passionate about raising healthy kids and helping others do so also.
Green juice is an amazing way to get adequate vitamins and minerals into your child's diet. Most kids love juice already, so all you have to do is make sure that the juice you make tastes good and the rest should be easy.
Here are some tips to get your kids drinking green juice:
1. Add apples. If the juice is not sweet enough, chances are your child will not drink it. Also, they will never try green juice again. First impressions are HUGE with kids. So make sure that you get it right the first time. I use 4-5 apples for every 45 ounces of green juice and that seems to make it sweet enough for my kids.
2. Serve the juice in fun cups! My kids are suckers for fun cup ware. I serve our green juice in cups that we picked up at our local dollar store. I had the kids pick out their very own "green juice" cup. A huge part of drinking green juice in our house is all about the cup!
3. Use silly straws! Aside from the cup, using silly straws can also make the experience more inviting. Again, we picked up silly straws at our local dollar store. Trust me, these items do not have to cost a lot. It just takes a bit of time and creativity.
4. Take baby steps. I first introduced green juice into my children's diet by getting them to take sips of my juice. I'd drink it when they were around and they were always very curious about what I was drinking. Once I noticed that they were finishing my entire drink and fighting over it, then I knew they each needed their own drink.
5. Get them to help out. My kids love making green juice. Often my kids fight over who gets to make the juice. My eight-year old, in particular, loves making juice. Sometimes he will make the entire juice on his own (make sure to supervise to ensure safety). Kids are more inclined to drink/eat the things they make themselves.
6. Don't sweat it. If your child does not like green juice, don't pressure them to drink it. Its been my experience that when you force a child to eat/drink something they don't like, they will develop an aversion to it. So be patient and try again next time. Never give up. My six-year old hated green juice when she was younger but now she loves it.
So, these are just a few tips to get your kids drinking green juice. Always remember that kids learn the best by simply watching what we do. Sometimes the silent lesson is the best one. There were days when I didn't even ask my kids if they wanted green juice and I would simply drink it around them all the time. Eventually they were so darned curious about what mommy was drinking they just had to have a sip. Even after that I did not pressure them to drink green juice. I just kept on making it for myself and noticed that with time they kept asking to have some of mine. Kids just want to be like us, although they want to make the decision for themselves. So why not let them? Start by making green juice for yourself and make sure to drink it in front of your kids. Eventually they'll want a taste, you'll see.
Do it for the kids. Peace.